What you need now, with a Lifetime of Benefits
Duggan Institute of Dentistry is an educational facility built on Principles and the fundamentals of dentistry. At the Duggan Institute we provide you the tools necessary to build your foundation for a successful future. We survey a very broad landscape of the dental community.
- Continuing Education for those wanting to improve their functional skills within their U.S. dental practice
- Current dental students at the start of their programs wanting to learn the skills and comprehension necessary for optimizing their performance potential
- Current 4th year dental students toward the end of their program that feel they are not ready to practice independently
- International dental graduates who would like to participate in an AEGD or GPR residency program in the U.S. and need to advance their skills either for acceptance or to perform well if admitted
- International dental graduates who would like to enter a U.S. dental school program with advanced-standing
- International dentists in Canada preparing for the NDEB clinical licensure examination
- Dentists who need remedial training in some area due to a conflict with a state board
- Are dentists qualified to take a regional licensure examination in the U.S., like the WREB or NERB, and need help to optimize their chances of success
- Dentists who have had difficulty passing a licensure examination and need remedial training on record before getting a chance to take the exam again
- Young faculty members of a dental school needing to develop more exacting and effective skills in teaching.
We are devoted to helping dentists and students beyond the typical educational facility. We have been a part of this community since 1992 and have trained with over 4000 students, dentists and board candidates. There are over 3000 dentists practicing in California that achieved licensure through examination with the help of Dr. Duggan.
We have been dedicated to the field of dental education, with all of the individual needs that this represents, for so long because Dr. Duggan has a passion for teaching that goes back almost 50 years – his first experience in tutoring chemistry as a young college student in that field. He taught at the University of Illinois, was on the professorial staff in the chemistry department at the University of California, Irvine and was a full-time Professor of Restorative Dentistry at Loma Linda University School of Dentistry for eight years. Since opening the original off-campus institute, Duggan Study Institute, he has unquestionably amassed more hours doing hands-on work with students than anyone else in the world! For most of 2006 he actually cut preparations with students for over 100 hours per week!
While Dr. Duggan’s skills are legendary and his way of presenting information uniquely effective following so many years of helping students understand what the most important concepts really are – the development of important teaching aids also sets DID apart from others in the field.
The DID Point-of-view camera system was developed by Dr. Duggan specifically to help students see exactly what HE sees! When he works in the mirror, students can see in the mirror exactly what he sees, down the same visual axis. This is one of the single most valuable developments in dental education for the past 15 years, and we have had these systems in use here at DID since 1999. Two major universities have had Dr. Duggan make systems for them to use – but all but the most skillful faculty find such a detailed display of their skills a formidable challenge!
We have also, based on Dr. Duggan’s experience in teaching visualization in dentistry, developed a unique workbook that aims to help students improve their ability to “see” in their mind’s eye what every step of their procedure should look like during execution. Visualization is the key to success and few, if any, other institutions address this issue with the effectiveness that we do at DID!
So – virtually whatever your needs are in the field of dental education, you will find a home here at DID! You are most welcome to email us or call to discuss your particular needs – but there is always a way to accommodate your needs into our flexible annual schedule. Our basic courses are the FRT – Fundamentals of Restorative Techniques – emphasizing preparations on typodont teeth in a manikin – and the FCD – Fundamental of Clinical Dentistry – emphasizing preparations on natural teeth, mounted in a typodont – and solving real-life problems. These two basic programs establish the foundation for the optimization of every students skills in their most needed areas – but customized and specialized programs are always available too.
Welcome to our site and our institutional commitment to your excellence – Both for what you Need Now – and with a Lifetime of Benefits!